This post contains affiliate links. This means that I receive a small commission for items bought through some of the links in this post, at no cost to you. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Gracious Cooking.
Welcome to a world of pure, chocolatey bliss! If you’re a devoted chocolate lover seeking an irresistible treat, then look no further. Today, we delve into the realm of chocolate fudge cupcakes with an extra touch of decadence— easy, velvety ganache.
This recipe is inspired by the Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake by Maria Lichty.
What Is Special About These Cupcakes?
These chocolate cupcakes are so easy to make. They come together in one bowl, with no mixer required. This recipe makes 24 chocolate cupcakes.
Water, butter, salt, and cocoa powder are heated together in a small pot until the mixture is all melted and hot. Those liquid ingredients are added to a large mixing bowl with flour, sugar, and baking powder and combined.
The melted butter coats the flour particles, giving the cake a moist, delightfully fudgy texture.
Finally, vanilla, eggs, and sour cream are added and whisked in. Then it’s off to the oven!
After the cupcakes are cooled, the tops are dipped in rich ganache.
What Is Ganache?
Ganache is a thick, fudgy mixture of melted chocolate and heavy cream.
To make the ganache for this recipe, heat 1/2 cup of heavy cream in a small pot until slightly simmering, stirring regularly.
While the cream heats, break 8 ounces of chocolate into small pieces and place in a medium bowl. Pour the heated cream over the chocolate and wait about 5 minutes. Stir together until smooth and luscious.
Ganache is a great alternative to buttercream. It is not nearly as sweet, but even more decadent.
Another recipe that features ganache is my Old Fashioned Chocolate Éclair Cake.
How Do I Dip The Cupcakes In The Ganache?
Tip the bowl of ganache toward you with one hand. With the other hand, take a cooled cupcake and dip the top in the ganache. Swirl the top of the cupcake in the ganache to coat the entire top. Rotate your wrist as you turn the cupcake upright, swirling the ganache so it doesn’t drip. Repeat with all of the cupcakes.
The equipment for these chocolate cupcakes with ganache is very simple. All you need is:
- 1 small pot
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 whisk
- 2 12-cup muffin tins
- 1 #20 scoop for portioning – I like to use this scoop to get the batter in the cupcake liners, but it is optional. You need to fill the liner about 3/4 of the way.
- cupcake liners
- medium bowl
- wire cooling rack
How To Store Chocolate Cupcakes With Ganache
These cupcakes can be stored at room temperature in a cake saver for about 2 days, and in the fridge for about 4.
I have not personally frozen these cupcakes, but it should work. I would freeze them uncovered on a sheet tray, and then put them into a freezer bag once totally frozen. Thaw at room temperature out of the bag. Please let me know if you freeze them! Tell us how it goes in the comments.
If you love these, you will also love my one bowl chocolate chip muffins. Check them out!
Share The Love!
If you have a cupcake-loving friend, share this recipe with them! Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes with Ganache are easy to make, insanely delicious, and very decadent thanks to the ganache frosting.
When you make these will you please leave a comment and let me know how it went? Sometimes it feels like you’re shouting into the void when you publish recipes online. I’d love to hear about your experience! It helps me become a better recipe developer.
I hope you have an amazing day (maybe with cupcakes)!
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes With Chocolate Ganache
- 2 12 cup muffin tins or do two batches with one pan
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 small saucepan
- 1 #20 scoop optional
- 24 cupcake liners
- 1 wire cooling rack
For the Cupcakes
- 1 and 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 and 1/4 cup water
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- baking spray optional
Chocolate Ganache Topping
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate I like the 60% cacao Ghirardelli baking bar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare the muffin tins with 18 cupcake liners, and spray lightly with baking spray. Position a rack in the middle position.
- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, combine the butter, cocoa, salt, and water.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking soda.
- When the butter is melted and the liquid mixture is hot, remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk until smooth. Pour the butter, cocoa, salt, and water mixture into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Carefully whisk until combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and the eggs, one at a time, making sure the batter is not so hot that it will cook the eggs. Whisk to combine.
- Add the sour cream, and whisk to combine.
- Scoop 1 and 1/2 ounces of batter into each cupcake liner using a #20 scoop, or by filling the liner about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until the cupcakes spring back lightly when pressed. Remove the cupcakes from the pans and let cool completely on a wire rack.
For the Ganache
- Wash the saucepan that contained the water and butter mixture. Heat 1/2 heavy whipping cream in that sauce pan over medium low heat until simmering. Do not boil. Whisk occasionally.
- Chop or break the chocolate into small pieces.
- If you have a stove that reaches very low heat, you can add the chocolate directly to the cream. If not, put the chocolate in a separate bowl and pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Either way, let the chocolate melt for about 5 minutes, and then whisk until smooth.
- Tilt either the saucepan or bowl containing the ganache toward you, and use a spatula to scoot all of the ganache to the side closest to you.
- Dip the top of each cupcake in the ganache, swirling to coat. Let the cupcakes set on the wire rack, and enjoy!
Sunday 28th of May 2023
This method for ganache is foolproof and the only way I’ll ever do it from now on. Took these to a family party today and everyone loved them!
Sunday 28th of May 2023
I’m so glad everyone loved the cupcakes! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️