This post contains affiliate links. This means that I receive a small commission for items bought through some of the links in this post, at no cost to you. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Gracious Cooking.
White chicken chili is a perfect cold-weather dinner. Simple, warm, and hearty, white chicken chili comes together in about 30 minutes. As a bonus, this is also a dish that gets better in the fridge overnight, although it’s delicious the day it’s made, too. I’m excited to share this comforting, easy dinner recipe as the last installment of Soup Month 2022!
This recipe for white chicken chili comes to us via my sister’s college roommate, Becca. Back in the day, they had a vegetarian dinner group, and white chili was a staple. In her college days, Allison , my sister, didn’t add chicken. You don’t have to either! This soup is great either with or without meat. There are 4 cans of beans in white chicken chili, which adds tons of heartiness and body to the soup.
Ingredients for White Chicken Chili
Spices: ground cumin, red pepper flakes, Tony Chachere’s No Salt (or other Creole or Cajun blend), salt, pepper, and granulated sugar.
Produce: Garlic, and two onions.
Pantry: olive oil, chicken stock, 2 cans garbanzo beans, 2 cans white northern beans, and 1 small can green chilis.
Meat: 3 cups rotisserie chicken. You can also leave this out if you’d like for a cheaper and/or vegetarian option.
Dairy: heavy cream and sour cream.
For white chicken chili, the only pieces of equipment you really need are an enameled cast iron pot, and a spoon. If you don’t own an enameled cast iron Dutch oven, here is an affordable option from Amazon Basics.
This is one of the easiest recipes I know how to make. Really all you do is saute onions and garlic, add spices, dump in your stock and drained beans, simmer, add the dairy, and simmer again. Bringing something to a simmer means that you bring your liquid just to a boil, then you reduce the heat so that it bubbles gently, but isn’t a full, rolling boil.
I hope your family loves this recipe as much as mine does. My kids love it, Mark loves it, it’s easy, what’s not to love? When you make white chicken chili, will you please comment on this post? I’d love to see how it went for you.
Coming up in November are (drum roll…………) holiday side dishes! If you have any sides you’re dying to know how to make, let me know in the comments below! If you love soup, you should also check out Taco Soup and Creamy Mushroom Soup with Chicken and Brown Rice. Happy cooking!
White Chicken Chili
- 1 6 quart pot
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Tony Chachere's no salt seasoning of another Cajun or Creole blend
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper more to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans great northern beans drained
- 2 cans garbanzo beans drained
- 1 small can green chilis
- 3 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat a 6 quart pot (I prefer enameled cast iron) over medium heat.
- To the pot, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the diced onions, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- To the onions and garlic, add the cumin, red pepper flakes, Tony Chachere's, ground black pepper, and salt. Stir until fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock, scraping up any brown bits that have formed on the bottom of the pot.
- Add the drained cans of great northern and garbanzo beans.
- Add the green chilies and sugar.
- Bring the soup up to a simmer. Add the chicken, heavy cream, and sour cream. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning. The soup probably will need more salt. Add salt until the soup tastes zesty and bright.
- Dig in!